The simple brick church we see today has a longer history than the present building suggests. It developed from St Mark’s School-Chapel (1875) in a nearby road; this was succeeded by a corrugated iron church (1888) which in its turn was replaced in 1915 by a larger building – this served as the church until the present permanent brick church was built and consecrated by the Bishop of London on 28 June 1939.
The present church, designed by London architect Cyril Farey, is a pleasing example of 1930s style and gives a sense of space and calm. Though originally designed to focus on the high altar, and with seating up to the present chancel steps, a nave altar was introduced in 1986 and the seating correspondingly reduced. In the north transept is a chapel dedicated to St Martin with the names of parishioners who died in the First and Second World Wars; in the south is the Holy Family Chapel, intended as a children’s chapel, with a small table and chairs, toys and books.